Thursday, March 9, 2017

A Typical Tuesday






On Tuesdays I'm normally in the Outpatient Lab. Here I receive specimen that are delivered from all over the hospital, scan them through the computer and deliver them to their designated departments within the lab where they are to be tested. Within the lab there are several different departments including Chemistry, Microbiology, Blood Bank, Urine Analysis, Hematology, and Coagulation. The containers in which the specimen come in are color-coded and labeled to specify where they should be delivered. Above are a few photos of me and some equipment I work with in the Outpatient Lab. On the top left corner is the entrance to Lab.  Above in the center is where I send and receive tubes to different departments throughout the hospital. Next is my work space where I scan the specimen into the computer, save them, then separate and deliver them throughout the lab. Finally the last photo is of me getting ready to scan one of the containers holding blood cultures. It is extremely important to always where gloves and a lab coat as well as carry the specimen with caution to prevent them from breaking.

1 comment: