Friday, May 12, 2017

Spreading Smiles

As a volunteer I try to make it my priority to put smiles on the patients' faces but today it seemed like they were the ones making me smile. While distributing waters to each patient I was stopped at first by a man who had complimented my positive attitude and stated that my overall presence made his day. Then after I finished delivering waters to patients I went to the nurses station to see if there was anything else I could assist with. One of the nurses told me that a man in room 13 wanted some company so I stopped by to visit him and he had me there longer than I expected. He was very happy to converse with me about a number of different topics ranging from career paths to history and politics, and even about tattoos and crazy hair colors. We talked on and on for over an hour and by the time I looked up at the clock it was already time for me to leave. I enjoyed talking with him and it seemed he enjoyed having me there as well. With that being said, I found that spending time with patients will not only make them happy but will also make you smile as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment